Sunday, December 7, 2014

Taco Stew: waste not, want not


Nom, nom!
   It is a cardinal sin to throw away food: a sentiment taught to me by my father, echoed from his Italian heritage, and by my Nana who survived the Great Depression. So, when Madilyn and I shared a rotisserie chicken a couple of days ago, we had plenty left over. What to do, what to do? There it sat on the second shelf lurking, taunting me from inside the refrigerator. With stern frugality I answered, "I shall make Taco Stew out of you." 
    Not only can you use leftover chicken, but Taco Stew is also a great time saver because you can make it in the crock-pot.  If you don't have leftover chicken, then first poach or bake 2-3 chicken breasts instead. 




Ingredients needed: 

Chicken
Drained cans of:
2 cans of Ranch Style beans
    (One with jalapeƱos if you like spicy)
1 can of Rotel
1 can of diced tomatoes
1can of tomato soup
1can of corn
1 package of taco seasoning
1 package of Ranch dressing mix
Dash of chili powder (optional)
Dash of garlic powder (optional)



Shred the chicken into the pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir and simmer on low for 4 hours. 

Ready to sir and simmer!

Easy-peasy! Serve with tortilla chips or crackers and a side salad. Perfect for a chilly winter's night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment